HAVE YOU MET... BRENT?
We are always paying close attention to each and every individual member here at Starboard CrossFit. We're not just looking to help them get fit, improve themselves and achieve their goals... each month, we like choose an exceptional athlete that goes above and beyond the call of duty; an athlete that stands out as a shining example of an exemplary Starboard CrossFit athlete and family member. Definitely not an easy task with all of the amazing athletes we have!
Then we ask them to share their story in the hopes that it will inspire and motivate others. Most importantly we want to recognize those dedicated members for their hard work and accomplishments, and show the local community that ANYONE can be a CrossFitter. All you have to do is make the choice to give it a try, set goals, and work hard. You may be surprised at what you will accomplish!
This month we are excited to introduce a regular member of our afternoon classes. This young man happened to stop by one afternoon early in the beginning when Starboard CrossFit was first getting off the ground. And he has been with us ever since that fateful moment. If you've been to one of our afternoon classes then you've most definitely met him. We're proud to celebrate our Star Athlete of the Month for August, Brent Melcher.
Brent and his wife, Brooke, became a couple of our founding members in May of 2017, less than one month after we opened our doors! When work and school aren't in the way, you can see their bright, smiling faces in our regular afternoon classes almost every day of the week.
If you haven't noticed by now, Brent is also one of our hometown heroes as a longtime decorated firefighter and Battalion Chief with the Summerville Fire Department. Almost daily he places his own health and safety in harms way to rescue those of us that are in danger. This makes his personal health and fitness even more important when it comes to being prepared for any physical demand. Like Brent, many firefighters choose CrossFit to prepare for the rigors of their profession.
Every CrossFit workout you do will push your body in a way similar to what's experienced on the job for many first repsonders and military personnel. It will push you to the point of pure exhaustion. And if you train your body to push past that while you are off duty, you will be that much better at doing it when it really matters.
Brent is constantly pushing himself and inspiring those around him to move faster, do more, and get better. You just can’t beat the hard work and consistent effort he always brings to each and every workout. This athlete has dedication and the heart of a lion! We are very thankful for the support he’s shown us and for his daily, selfless acts of service as a firefighter and we are definitely excited to see where the future lies for Brent and his family. He is an absolute powerhouse and we’re honored to have him and his family as a staple in our CrossFit family!
Stop into any one of our afternoon classes and be sure to say hi to Brent and many of our other amazing members. And feel free to join us for a quick workout; see what all the hypes about! In the meantime, check out what Brent had to say about his experience with us at Starboard CrossFit...
PLEASE MEET OUR STAR ATHLETE... Brent Melcher!
What's your nickname/call sign/hashtag?
- Well having a larger than average sized head and working at a fire department, you tend to have several. Headie Murphy, Head Detective, and even Sponge Bob. But people have often said I looked like Chandler from Friends. So that stuck for a while.
Where were you born or where did you grow up?
- I was born and raised right here in the Low Country!
Tell us something most people don't know about you...
- I don’t think there’s anything people don’t know about me.
Funny or embarrassing story you'd like to share...
- One year while Brooke and I were on vacation, I was laying in bed trying to catch a nap. I rolled over and somehow stung between the legs by a wasp! I can’t begin to tell you how bad it hurt! I was able to kill the wasp and we took it down stairs to the front desk at the hotel. She asked what happened and I told her. She couldn’t keep a straight face and she busted out laughing. She was nice enough to compensate our room for the night though.
Words to live by ~or~ favorite quote?
- There are several, but I like “Stay humble, or be humbled!”
What were you doing before CrossFit?
- I was into mixed martial arts for a while and got out before I was seriously hurt.
When and how did you find CrossFit? What brought you to Starboard CrossFit in the first place?
- Brooke and I began CrossFit at Low Country CrossFit years ago. We were going to CrossFit in Summerville for a while but when we had kids, it got harder for us to go, so we decided to workout from home. One day while coming home from work I saw the Starboard sign. I got really excited and called the gym right away. I’ve been a member since that day.
What was your first impression? How has that changed?
- I knew right away that this gym was different than any other Crossfit gym! Ronnie, Jenn, and all the coaches are dedicated to the success of each and every member!
How has CrossFit impacted your life inside & outside the gym?
- CrossFit challenges you in a way that makes you more confident in every aspect of your life.
What is your favorite workout, movement or lift? least favorite?
- I like deadlifts and kettlebells! My least favorite lift is the snatch.
What are your biggest CrossFit goals and how close are you to achieving them?
- I want to be able to master each movement! It’s taking time, but each day gets me closer and closer.
Favorite food, restaurant, or cheat meal?
- Pizza and beer!
What has been your proudest CrossFit accomplishment?
- Just recently, I was able to get my first bar muscle up during the WOD.
What is the most defining characteristic of Starboard CrossFit that sticks out to you?
- The hard work and dedication that goes into the gym when no one is there! It’s always spotless and improving to fit everyone’s needs. Just when you think it can’t get any better, Ronnie and Jenn surprise us with something new.
What are you up to when you're not at Starboard CrossFit?
- I love hunting and spending time with my family!
And finally, any advice or tips for newbies considering or just beginning their CrossFit journey?
- Just get in there and go for it! CrossFit is an ongoing process and if you trust it, it will make you a better person!
We're honored and so extremely grateful to have you as part of our Starboard family. Keep up the hard work Brent! And thank you for sharing your story with us as our Starboard CrossFit Star Athletes for the month of August!