HAVE YOU MET... MATT CLARK?
We are always paying close attention to each and every individual member here at Starboard CrossFit. We're not just looking to help them get fit, improve themselves and achieve their goals... each month, we like choose an exceptional athlete that goes above and beyond the call of duty; an athlete that stands out as a shining example of an exemplary Starboard CrossFit athlete and family member. Definitely not an easy task with all of the amazing athletes we have!
Then we ask them to share their story in the hopes that it will inspire and motivate others. Most importantly we want to recognize those dedicated members for their hard work and accomplishments, and show the local community that ANYONE can be a CrossFitter. All you have to do is make the choice to give it a try, set goals, and work hard. You may be surprised at what you will accomplish!
Continuing the trend... our early morning 5am class is really on FIRE and this month we're very excited to introduce you to yet another one of our #5ammisfits #breakfastclub members. Also, this member happens to be another one our many active duty U.S. Navy veterans. He has been a dedicated member of our 5am class for the past year and if you've ever been to one of our 5am classes then you'll be glad you met our amazing Star Athlete of the Month for January, U.S. Navy Lt. Matt Clark!
Like last months AotM, Brandy, Matt is another one our early morning rockstars and the one that keeps all the crazy 5am misfits in line ensuring they don't get too crazy after they've had a bit too much caffeine. He stopped by one day in full uniform just to check things out and jumped right on board with us. A true hard worker who is there to improve himself and focuses on his own fitness without letting ego or the natural human competitiveness get in his way. He's shown up every morning with a positive and welcoming attitude ready to cut up with our other members and get nostalgic when that early morning music playlist hits the stereo. And when it's time to get down to business, Matt is very attentive and another one of our most 'coachable' athletes. With that he has learned and advanced very quickly and continues to improve very quickly.
We are very thankful and extremely excited to see what the future holds for Matt on his fitness journey and we're so very honored to have him in our CrossFit family!
PLEASE MEET OUR STAR ATHLETE... Matt Clark!
What's your nickname/call sign/hashtag?
- 5am Matt or Regular Matt Clark
Where were you born or where did you grow up?
- I was born and raised in Lynchburg, VA.
Tell us something most people don't know about you...
- I'm coming up on my 23rd year in the Navy. I was lucky enough to be selected for an assignment in Rota, Spain. My family and I will leaving the area in a couple of months. We've enjoyed living in the Low Country and I've really enjoyed being a member of the Starboard CrossFit family.
Funny or embarrassing story you'd like to share...
- At my previous gym in Jacksonville, FL. I was doing my 2nd class there, it was a partner WOD, I did the first part while my partner completed an 800m run. When it was my turn to run, had no idea where I was going. I followed the route I was given but apparently missed a turn. I wound up in a field, knee deep in the mud. The coach came out to see what happened to me as I was pulling my shoe out of the hole I had sunk in. They always made sure I knew where I was going from that day forward.
Words to live by ~or~ favorite quote?
- Don't borrow problems and don't worry about things you can't control.
What were you doing before CrossFit?
- Before CrossFit I would do the traditional work outs. Chest and back one day, legs another and arms on the third, with cardio sprinkled in.
When and how did you find CrossFit?
- I discovered CrossFit 7 years ago, a guy I worked with brought me to the gym he was going to. It took one workout and I was hooked. I enjoy the variety of the workouts and the family atmosphere that the gym has.
What brought you to Starboard CrossFit in the first place? What was your first impression? How has that changed?
- I knew what I was getting into when I joined Starboard....I was not disappointed. Every class is welcoming, there is always someone cheering you on.
How has CrossFit impacted your life inside & outside the gym?
- My job keeps me on the move; within the first couple of months, I get into a CrossFit gym. Starboard is the 4th gym I've been a member and is legitimately the best! The 5am class works perfectly with my schedule, it allows me to start the day off with a great workout with some of the best people I've met in South Carolina.
What is your favorite workout, movement or lift? least favorite?
- My favorite lift is the dead lift. Least favorite is anything handstands and duck walks. Even ducks don't like walking!
What are your biggest CrossFit goals and how close are you to achieving them?
- My biggest goal was to do the hero wod Murph Rx. The pull ups were holding me back, I could start with them but would have to transition to ring rows or jumping pull ups in the later rounds. They past May was the first time I was able to complete the workout Rx. Now my goal for Murph is to better my time.
Favorite food, restaurant, or cheat meal?
- and just like fellow 5am member, Brandy... ALL THINGS TACOS!!!
What has been your proudest CrossFit accomplishment?
- Doing Murph RX, for sure.
What is the most defining characteristic of Starboard CrossFit that sticks out to you?
- The people. Every class has their groups, but you're always welcomed into them when you join that class. Also the number of Matt Clarks at the gym and Starboard's ability to recognize all of us!
What are you up to when you're not at Starboard CrossFit?
- I work a lot, my wife works on the weekends. When I'm not at the gym or at work, I spend time with my wife and kids.
And finally, any advice or tips for newbies considering or just beginning their CrossFit journey?
- Just show up and try your best. Don't try to race anyone or feel like you need to be doing the same weights as they are. Just show up and do the best work you can do. #justshowup
Some very wise words! We're very proud and extremely grateful and we cannot thank you enough for letting us be a part of your fitness journey and becoming part of our Starboard CrossFit family. We're still not happy that you'll be leaving us for the beautiful country of Rota, Spain but we understand that duty calls and are very thankful for what you and all of our military brethren do to keep our great country safe! Keep up the hard work Matt and stay outta the mud! Thank you so much for sharing your story with us as our Starboard CrossFit Star Athletes for the month of January!