HAVE YOU MET... SUMMER-RAIN BUSSARD?
We are always paying close attention to each and every individual member here at Starboard CrossFit. We're not just looking to help them get fit, improve themselves and achieve their goals... each month, we like choose an exceptional athlete that goes above and beyond the call of duty; an athlete that stands out as a shining example of an exemplary Starboard CrossFit athlete and family member. Definitely not an easy task with all of the amazing athletes we have!
Then we ask them to share their story in the hopes that it will inspire and motivate others. Most importantly we want to recognize those dedicated members for their hard work and accomplishments, and show the local community that ANYONE can be a CrossFitter. All you have to do is #justshowup
Make the choice to give it a try, set goals, and work hard. You may be surprised by what you'll accomplish!
This month, we are very excited to honor one of our best success stories and hardest working female athletes that joined our family not too long after we opened our doors! Another one of our many military family members, she is a self-made entrepreneur (#mompreneur) and mother of four. This combination makes her one of our toughest and fiercest ladies in the box and one of the most highly driven athletes you'll ever meet. When she sets her eyes on a goal, get outta the way cause there is NO stopping her! She has an insatiable appetite for self improvement and is always eager to learn more and push herself beyond the comfort zone. If you've ever been to one of our midday or afternoon classes then you'll be glad you met our amazing Star Athlete of the Month for March, Summer-Rain!
Summer-Rain continues to uphold the values and beliefs we seek to instill in our Athletes and carries on the legacy set by her husband and U.S. Marine officer, Justin Bussard, who made our Athelete of the Month roster way back in November, 2017. She reluctantly began her CrossFit fitness journey with us on our Punch Card Membership. But once the intimidation factor wore off she quickly drank the kool-aid and jumped on board our full membership program joining her husband 5-6 days/week crushing workouts and setting PR's. With their kids watching, they even set the example for future generations as their kids were some of the first to join our CrossFit Kids Classes!
Sumemr-Rain and her husband are a couple of our regular class members and have attended just about every class time we have available.
She is a very sociable, extremely friendly and another one of our most 'coachable' athletes. If you're new to the box, she is usually one of the first people you'll meet as she welcomes every new face with a smile and friendly conversation... even if you don't speak English! From day one Summer-Rain has quickly grown to become an amazing athlete in the short amount of time she's been with us and she continues to improve every single day. Like so many of our other military athletes, her dedication to achieving her goals and leadership she shows inside the box shines through and carries over to her duties as a mom, wife & entrepreneur outside the box!
Summer-Rain is setting the perfect example for our other members and her kids as to what it means to be a true Starboard CrossFit Athlete and she's inspiring many others along the way.
We are so very thankful and extremely excited to see what the future holds for Summer-Rain and the rest of the Bussard Family on their fitness journey and we're so very honored to have ALL OF THEM in our Starboard CrossFit family!
PLEASE MEET OUR STAR ATHLETE... Summer-Rain!
What's your nickname/call sign/hashtag?
- No nickname, sometimes my name is shortened to Summer. I have a slew of hashtags, but my team name #theTribe and then #ArrowAction are some of my favorites! (It means to always go forward towards your goals, no turning back!)
Where were you born or where did you grow up?
- I was born and raised in Hagerstown, Maryland.
Tell us something most people don't know about you...
- That’s a tough one, I would say most people don’t know that I do not have a college degree. I have dropped out of college, 3 separate times but can easily build and run a multi-million dollar organization from home while moving constantly & raising four babies, including one special needs.
Funny or embarrassing story you'd like to share...
- I tried really hard not to let myself get embarrassed. And I’m only funny when I’m telling jokes at my parties. But man I am really clumsy. I stub my toes all the time.
Words to live by ~or~ favorite quote?
- “Be the change you wish to see in the World” - Ghandi
What were you doing before CrossFit?
- Mommin’ so hard. Tried Zumba, tried machines, tried running but nothing could keep my attention or focus.
When and how did you find CrossFit?
- That’s easy, my husband! He kept hearing about this new CrossFit gym opening near us and begged me to go try it out with him. He’s a super fit Marine and had been wanting to really give it a go. When I finally was ready to make REAL changes I agreed to try a class with him. The rest is history!
What brought you to Starboard CrossFit in the first place? What was your first impression? How has that changed?
- Before I got there I was super intimidated. I then realized that the people there were people just like me who wanted a better life. It’s hard being super overweight and joining a community of super-fit people because you are so into your own head, but I promise you if you JUST SHOW UP, you’ll quickly become a part of the family and then the weight comes off as you get stronger and faster!
How has CrossFit impacted your life inside & outside the gym?
- A year an half ago, I would have never imagined that CrossFit would be something SO big in my life. I used to roll my eyes at my husband for making sure he always made it to class, and now here I am going 5 - 6 times a week. It’s taught me how strong I really can be, it helps me mentally practice overcoming battles & that having a positive community makes the biggest change overall.
What is your favorite workout, movement or lift? least favorite?
- Give me a barbell any day! Preferably cleans, snatches or overhead squats. But, nothing is worse than running or thrusters.
What are your biggest CrossFit goals and how close are you to achieving them?
- My biggest goals are to get all the skills down! Working on double-unders, pull-ups & rope climbs. I really think if I can find more time to put into them, I’ll get them all this year!
Favorite food, restaurant, or cheat meal?
- Chocolate. & a really good New York style pizza.
What has been your proudest CrossFit accomplishment?
- Probably being able to represent Starboard in the Holy City Showcase doing the 19.1 CrossFit Open workout! I have PR’s all the time but publicly doing CrossFit to represent the box really was a big deal to me. I'm so grateful for the opportunity.
What is the most defining characteristic of Starboard CrossFit that sticks out to you?
- 100% the community. And the fact that it’s literally the cleanest CrossFit gym ever! As a mom with 4 kids who bring home enough germs, it’s comforting to know that it’s constantly cleaned up after and sterilized at the gym.
What are you up to when you're not at Starboard CrossFit?
- I run two businesses! One is my Pure Romance personal business & team organization and the other is trying to raise 4 decent little human beings! Love my Z babies!
(Be sure to check out Pure Romance by Summer-Rain for all the best in bath, beauty, and bedroom accessories.)
And finally, any advice or tips for newbies considering or just beginning their CrossFit journey?
- Goodness I have the biggest sweet spot for newbies & I just love welcoming them to the gym when they come in. I think it’s because I see myself in them when I walked in nervous as heck a year and a half ago. My biggest advice is what our motto is, “Just Show Up.” That’s it. And keep doing it over and over. Because I promise as hard as it might seem, it’s gets easier to do over time while you’re becoming your best you!
like we always say... #justshowup
Being a military family whom we love and support we're so very proud and extremely grateful for each and every one of the Bussard Family and we cannot thank you enough for letting us be a part of your fitness journey and for you becoming part of our Starboard CrossFit family. But also, as a military family, we are so very sad to see them go as they move on to the next chapter of their lives in Virginia. Promise us you'll keep up the hard work and maintain the gainz! Thank you so much for sharing your story with us as our Starboard CrossFit Star Athletes for the month of March!