HAVE YOU MET... JESS?
We are always paying close attention to each and every individual member here at Starboard CrossFit. We're not just looking to help them get fit, improve themselves and achieve their goals... each month, we like choose an exceptional athlete that goes above and beyond the call of duty; an athlete that stands out as a shining example of an exemplary Starboard CrossFit athlete and family member. Definitely not an easy task with all of the amazing athletes we have!
Then we ask them to share their story in the hopes that it will inspire and motivate others. Most importantly we want to recognize those dedicated members for their hard work and accomplishments, and show the local community that ANYONE can be a CrossFitter. All you have to do is make the choice to give it a try, set goals, and work hard. You may be surprised at what you will accomplish!
This month, we are very excited to honor an athlete that joined us shortly after opening our doors. Another one of our many military veteran family members, this ex-military police turned grade school counselor and mom is highly driven and hardworking with an insatiable appetite always eager to learn more and push herself beyond her comfort zone. check out our Star Athlete of the Month for December, Jessica Galati!
Jess is one of the sweetest, most motivated and kind hearted, young athletes in our family. One of the most outspoken people you'll meet, she is always one of the very first people to welcome new faces to our box.
You can always find Jess in our afternoon classes with her son, Alex. Alex is normally the quiet kid hiding out in the lobby with his nose in his tablet but who has also recently found a love for working out alongside his mom! Jess is a perfect role model for our younger generation (the future of fitness) as she can easily relate to them and show them what it means to be a member of the Starboard CrossFit family. She has even gone above and beyond to volunteer and help out other parents in our community by picking up some of our kids after school and bringing them to the box. Outside the box, Jess is just as hard at work as a devoted wife to her husband Robert and mother to her son Alex and their large family of critters.
Like so many of our other military and veteran athletes, Jessica's prior service to her country and current dedication to her family and ours shines through her loyalty, drive and intensity inside and outside the box. Jess is setting the perfect example of what it means to be a true Starboard CrossFit Athlete and inspiring other athletes along the way.
PLEASE MEET OUR STAR ATHLETE... JESS!
Name (any nicknames):
- Some people refer to me as Galati, but mainly everyone calls me Jess.
Where were you born or where did you grow up?
- I was born in White Plains, NY and when I was 5 we moved to Beacon, NY and that is where I lived until I was 18 and left for the Navy.
Tell us something most people don't know about you.
- I truly am an open book so I’m sure most everyone knows a lot about me. I have no problem talking to anyone and striking up conversation. However, for those of you who don’t know me here are three important things you should know:
1) I am a proud US Navy veteran. I served 10 years for my country as a Military Police Officer (Master-At-Arms)
2) I am OBSESSED with all things Disney and Harry Potter. I have tattoos on my body to prove it.
3) I love animals! I don’t care what kind I love them all! I have 11 of my own animals (2 dogs, 3 cats, 3 hamsters and 3 chickens)
Funny or embarrassing story you'd like to share.
Words to live by ~or~ favorite quote?
- “The more you like yourself, the less you are like anyone else, which makes you unique” - Walt Disney
When and how did you find CrossFit?
- I learned about CrossFit about 2 years ago through a friend. For months she kept telling me to try it out because she knew I was big into fitness, but I was really scared because it seemed very intimidating. I seriously thought prior to my first day trying it out that I would walk in and there was going to be crazy strong and beastly men and woman lifting hundreds of pounds....boy was I wrong!
What were you doing before CrossFit?
- Prior to CrossFit I was always at the gym either running, weightlifting or doing spin or step classes. I was even the Physical Readiness Coordinator while I was in the Navy and I taught kickboxing classes as well.
How has CrossFit affected your life outside the gym?
- CrossFit has changed my life in so many ways. First of all I am way stronger now than I have ever been. CrossFit has also given me so much more confidence in my abilities and has showed me I can do a lot more then I think I can. The best way CrossFit has affected my life though is that it has allowed me the opportunity to meet so many amazing people whom I now consider family.
What is your biggest Crossfit goal?
- I have accomplished so much in the second year of my CrossFit journey. My goals for 2017 were to learn to do rope climbs, double unders, and butterfly pull-ups. I have been able to accomplish all of those goals. The last thing I would like to accomplish before the end of the year is to do a handstand walk.
What's your favorite exercise, movement, lift, WOD, etc.?
- I absolutely love deadlifts, especially because that is what I’m the best and strongest at. I can deadlift 255 pounds and I only weigh 125 pounds! I also love power cleans!
And what's your least favorite?
- Thrusters and overhead squats. I hate them very much!
Favorite food, restaurant, or cheat meal?
- I LOVE BBQ!!! Pulled pork, Mac n cheese, green beans, all the fixings. However, my true weakness is sweets especially Reese Peanut Butter Cups!
What has been your proudest CrossFit accomplishment?
- My proudest accomplishment was when I did my very first CrossFit competition, Clash of the Amazons, in June of this year. It was a lot of hard work, hours of practicing and a very humbling experience. I learned a lot about myself, my strengths and my weaknesses. Plus, I got to go through the whole experience and compete with my ride-or-die CrossFit partner for life and best friend, Emily Swanson!
What is the most defining characteristic of Starboard CrossFit that sticks out to you?
- Realistic perceptions
- Accepting of themselves and of other people
- Able to express emotions freely and clearly
- Open to learning from mistakes
- Understand motivations
Everything, description or meaning of this word is embodied by Starboard Crossfit and it’s owners Ronnie and Jen.
Any advice for newbies considering or just beginning their journey into the world of CrossFit?
- Don’t compare yourself to anyone else at the box and don’t treat the workouts as a competition. Finishing first, having the fastest time or the most reps doesn’t mean anything if you aren’t truly giving the workouts your all and doing them fully. Everyone is different and have different strengths and weaknesses, and we are all at a different levels of fitness. Just do the very best that you can do and that you are capable of and that is all that matters. Also, know that everyone in the box started their journey just like you did and we were all in your shoes at some point. Most importantly though is for you to know that no matter what everyone in the box will support you, cheer you on and help push you to do your very best.
And finally, what are you up to when you're not at Starboard CrossFit?
- I am usually hanging out with my husband and son, watching movies or tv shows (especially Live PD) listening to podcasts, playing with my animals, doing school work, going to Stingrays hockey games, cleaning my house (because I have major OCD), volunteering anyway I can and from time to time I work at the Charleston Animal Society on weekends as the events coordinator for kids birthday parties!
Being there on her very first experience as one of her very first CrossFit coaches, I am so delighted and thankful to have Jess and her family as a huge part of our Starboard CrossFit family! We're so grateful for Jess and her family for giving us a shot, joining our team and sticking with us. Let's all show Jess how much we love and appreciate her as our Starboard CrossFit Star Athletes for the month of December!