HAVE YOU MET... CHRIS?
We are always paying close attention to each and every individual member here at Starboard CrossFit. We're not just looking to help them get fit, improve themselves and achieve their goals... each month, we like choose an exceptional athlete that goes above and beyond the call of duty; an athlete that stands out as a shining example of an exemplary Starboard CrossFit athlete and family member. Definitely not an easy task with all of the amazing athletes we have!
Then we ask them to share their story in the hopes that it will inspire and motivate others. Most importantly we want to recognize those dedicated members for their hard work and accomplishments, and show the local community that ANYONE can be a CrossFitter. All you have to do is make the choice to give it a try, set goals, and work hard. You may be surprised at what you will accomplish!
This month, we are very excited to honor an athlete that started his CrossFit journey only a few short months before finding us at Starboard but quickly became a memorable part of the family. He's that brutally honest/vulgar/hilarious Uncle Eddy type relative you invite to holiday dinners with the family just to shake things up a bit. Check out our Star Athlete of the Month for January, Chris Farley!
Chris is our resident Instagram celebrity and a regular to our 5am group. He's one of the most loyal members in our dedicated AM crew; he is literally the first to show up and last to leave in those early hours of the week. You could probably set your watch by his schedule!
One of the most modest but by far our funniest family member, he's sure to make you crack a smile or laugh no matter how you're feeling and he is always one of the very first people in the mornings to welcome new faces to our box. When Chris isn't working hard trying to catch a break on his Instagram modeling career he's trying hard to help hook up your phone lines... (yes, some people still use landlines.)
If you ever get a chance, drop into one of our 5am classes sometime and you're sure to meet Chris right away. HIs quick wit and humor are sure to wake you up and get you ready to push through any workout!
PLEASE MEET OUR STAR ATHLETE... Chris Farley! (YES! that's his real name.)
Where were you born or where did you grow up?
- Born in Alexandria, VA, been in Goose Creek since age 10.
Tell us something most people don't know about you.
- I Volunteered for 10 years with the Preservation Society of Charleston.
Funny or embarrassing story you'd like to share.
- When I give my daughter a bath at night, I speak in a high pitched silly voice that borders on 80 year old Italian Grandmother/New York Deli owner.
Words to live by ~or~ favorite quote?
- "Whenever you feel like criticizing any one, just remember that all the people in this world haven’t had the advantages that you’ve had." - From The Great Gatsby (Nick Carroway’s Father)
When and how did you find CrossFit?
- Ive always known about Crossfit, but a friend who is a coach convinced me to come to their class. That was August 21st, 2017 and I was hooked instantly. It’s exactly what I was looking for.
What were you doing before CrossFit?
- I was still working out 6 days a week at a regular gym that had pizza parties and free bagels. Doing just isolation exercises. Chest day, arm day, leg day, etc...
How has CrossFit affected your life outside the gym?
- It has given me a renewed interest in living a healthier lifestyle and introduced my family to what has brought me so much accomplishment.
What is your biggest Crossfit goal?
- muscle-up first, then being able to participate in local competitions.
What's your favorite exercise, movement, lift, WOD, etc.?
And what's your least favorite?
- Anything that exposes my lower body weakness. aka Squats, lunges, etc...
Favorite food, restaurant, or cheat meal?
- Favorite food is Pizza, Restaurant is Halls Chophouse.
What has been your proudest CrossFit accomplishment?
- being able to Rx some of the WOD's with the elite athletes at our box.
What is the most defining characteristic of Starboard CrossFit that sticks out to you?
- The community by a landslide. It’s a second family for me that I don’t need alcohol to tolerate longer than 20 minute intervals.
Any advice for newbies considering or just beginning their journey into the world of CrossFit?
- The biggest preconceived notion is that you have to be “fit” already to get started. The absence of knowledge about scaling. Showing up is the most difficult part. It’s harder than the exercises or workouts. Just show up. (YOU HEAR THAT Lindsey Taylor?!?!?!)
And finally, what are you up to when you're not at Starboard CrossFit?
- When I’m not climbing telephone poles at work, I spend as much time with my 6 year old daughter and my wife as I can. I enjoy hunting and fishing. We take trips to the beach and the mountains.
I don't know many people that are as adamant about their fitness at 5am as Chris! His energy, sense of humor, his drive and intesity at those early hours is what helps some of us athletes (AND coaches!) get through those dark, cold and rough mornings; we sure couldn't do it as easily without him! We're extremely grateful to have Chris as a large part of our team and family. Let's all show Chris how much he means to us and how much we appreciate him as our Starboard CrossFit Star Athletes for the month of January!
And, for those that haven't seen his face... (see his Instagram Modeling Head Shot below)