HAVE YOU MET... MATT?
We are always paying close attention to each and every individual member here at Starboard CrossFit. We're not just looking to help them get fit, improve themselves and achieve their goals... each month, we like choose an exceptional athlete that goes above and beyond the call of duty; an athlete that stands out as a shining example of an exemplary Starboard CrossFit athlete and family member. Definitely not an easy task with all of the amazing athletes we have!
Then we ask them to share their story in the hopes that it will inspire and motivate others. Most importantly we want to recognize those dedicated members for their hard work and accomplishments, and show the local community that ANYONE can be a CrossFitter. All you have to do is make the choice to give it a try, set goals, and work hard. You may be surprised at what you will accomplish!
This month, we congratulate one of our friendliest and most eager athletes. As fate would have it, this young man just happened to be passing by our box on his bike one summer day and the rest is history! He began his CrossFit journey with us not too long ago on one of our Punch Card Memberships but quickly made the leap to full-time member. He has an insatiable appetite for learning all there is to know about CrossFit and is continuously seeking to master the basics and improve his fitness. Check out our Star Athlete of the Month for March, Matt Clark!
Not our only member named Matt... and not even our only member named Matt Clark... but this Matt stands out to us and is something special, which is why we chose him as our Star Athlete of the Month.
You can usually find Matt in the evenings as he's a regular face to our 5pm and 6pm classes. You can't miss him either; he's also by far one of our tallest members with one of the brightest attitudes every single day!
Just take a look at his daily life and you'll quickly see that Matt definitely has a special place in his heart for all things active. When he's not in the box he loves to get out on the trails or explore the city on his mountain bike or lace up his skates for some hockey. You're only as old as you want to be!
As you can tell, Matt likes to use CrossFit to supplement his other fitness activities and improve himself to be prepared for whatever life throws his way! Stop into any one of our afternoon classes sometime, say hi to Matt and many of our other amazing members and join us for a quick WOD. See what all the hypes about!
PLEASE MEET OUR STAR ATHLETE... Matt Clark!
- There are so many Matts. You all can call me Clark. All of my teammates do. Wait, Ronnie told me there was another Matt Clark?!? ugh!
Where were you born or where did you grow up?
- Born and raised in Charleston, WV. I moved from a good Charleston, to the best Charleston about 10 years ago.
Tell us something most people don't know about you.
- I'm a musician. I've been playing the drums on and off for 20 years.
Funny or embarrassing story you'd like to share.
- The one day I didn't wear gym shorts to the box. I'm pretty sure everybody heard my Bermuda shorts rip at the seam when I did that first kettlebell squat.
Words to live by ~or~ favorite quote?
- "I think I farted a little during that WOD" - Mike Worsham
When and how did you find CrossFit?
- Exploring the area on my bicycle I stumbled upon the Starboard box. I live close by and had no idea it was there. Many many years ago, the last time I was inside that building, it was a smoke shop.
What were you doing before CrossFit?
- I've been an athlete my whole life. I started the Crossfit journey as a way to improve athletic performance for ice hockey. I had literally never worked out in a gym before...ever. So far, it's been paying off!
How has CrossFit affected your life outside the gym?
- 2017 was a rough year for me. Crossfit helped me get through some difficult times in my life and I've come out stronger and better, and made some new friends along the way!
What is your biggest Crossfit goal?
- Certain movements are very difficult for me. Lack of mobility and general lankiness makes some things hard to achieve. Double-unders and toes-2-bar are 2 that come to mind. I'm slowly getting better and one day, I won't be trash at those movements. In the meantime, I'm getting faster and stronger on the ice!
What's your favorite exercise, movement, lift, WOD, etc.? or least favorite?
- I'm very good at anything cardio. There are few at the gym who can keep up with me on the runs and assault bike. The strength training and mobility have been my weaknesses. I try to listen to those with more experience and I've been working hard to improve those areas.
Favorite food, restaurant, or cheat meal?
- Bread, cheese, and wine. Any meal involving those 3 things is going to be delicious!
What has been your proudest CrossFit accomplishment?
- I can't think of 1 moment that sticks out, but seeing progress is what keeps me coming back. I don't compete against others. I only compete against my previous self.
What is the most defining characteristic of Starboard CrossFit that sticks out to you?
- The community. I can get a workout in anywhere. I keep coming back for the people, and the motivation. The coaches are the best. Lenna and Steph C are my favorites. They've been with me long enough to see improvement and I'm grateful for their support.
Any advice for newbies considering or just beginning their journey into the world of CrossFit?
- Never. Give. Up. You're going to be so sore, it hurts to get out of bed in the morning. Fight through the pain and you will be rewarded mentally and physically.
And finally, what are you up to when you're not at Starboard CrossFit?
- I'm normally exploring the forest on my mountain bike. No better way to take your mind off stress than to throw yourself down a mountain at 20 mph.
Thanks so much for all those kind words Matt! We're so glad that luck/fate happened to bring you by our box and extremely grateful to have as part of our family. And thank you for sharing your story with us as our Starboard CrossFit Star Athletes for the month of March!