HAVE YOU MET... JUSTIN?
We are always paying close attention to each and every individual member here at Starboard CrossFit. We're not just looking to help them get fit, improve themselves and achieve their goals... each month, we like choose an exceptional athlete that goes above and beyond the call of duty; an athlete that stands out as a shining example of an exemplary Starboard CrossFit athlete and family member. Definitely not an easy task with all of the amazing athletes we have!
Then we ask them to share their story in the hopes that it will inspire and motivate others. Most importantly we want to recognize those dedicated members for their hard work and accomplishments, and show the local community that ANYONE can be a CrossFitter. All you have to do is make the choice to give it a try, set goals, and work hard. You may be surprised at what you will accomplish!
This month, we are very excited to honor an athlete that made us his first affiliate of choice in beginning their CrossFit journey. Another one of our many military family members, this Marine is competitive, hard working and always eager to learn more and push himself beyond that comfort zone; check out our Star Athlete of the Month for November, Justin Bussard!
Justin is one of the most eager, young athletes in our family. If you haven't met him then just wait, you'll eventually see him in just about any of our classes. He's like Cheers... everybody knows his name!
Justin knows that to do better and be great you cannot fear failure. When there's a new skill listed on the whiteboard and others tend to hesitate, Justin is always one of the first people to step up to the plate and give it a shot. He's also another rare athlete that actually enjoys the Assault Bike. Even through the pain and discomfort of just about any WOD, Justin doesn't stop that friendly personality and welcoming smile from continuing to shine.
Outside the box, Justin is just as hard at work as a devoted husband and father helping his wife, Summer-Rain, to support and raise their beautiful family. Justin is also soon to be a U.S Marine Corps commissioned officer, fast on his way up the chain of command earning his Business Administration degree at the Citadel in their Marine Enlisted Commissioning Education Program. In the box, you can find him before class warming, stretching or testing his newly learned skills and even staying late after doing accessory work and improving weaknesses.
Like so many of our other military athletes, Justin's service to his country and family shines through his dedication, drive and intensity inside and outside the box. Justin is setting the perfect example of what it means to be a Starboard CrossFit Athlete and inspiring other athletes along the way.
PLEASE MEET OUR STAR ATHLETE... JUSTIN!
Name (any nicknames):
- Justin "Buzz" Bussard
Where were you born or where did you grow up?
- Hagerstown, Maryland
Tell us something most people don't know about you.
- I met my wife in 7th grade of Sunday school.
Funny or embarrassing story you'd like to share.
- I’m pretty sure I don’t like needles because I passed out watching my first son get vaccines, I passed out watching my wife get an epidural and I put my head through a wall while passing out getting an anthrax vaccine.
Words to live by ~or~ favorite quote?
- You get out what you put into it.
When and how did you find CrossFit?
- A couple guys I worked with did it so I joined them and was hooked but was too intimidated to join an affiliated box.
What were you doing before CrossFit?
- Free weights (no leg days) and lots of running.
How has CrossFit affected your life outside the gym?
- By being on a regular workout schedule I’ve been able to maximize my time with the family.
What is your biggest Crossfit goal?
- Place high in a competition.
What's your favorite exercise, movement, lift, WOD, etc.?
- Air bike (crazy I know)
And what's your least favorite?
Favorite food, restaurant, or cheat meal?
- Tacos and pizza are life! (And late night Krispy Kreme runs)
What has been your proudest CrossFit accomplishment?
- Hitting a bar muscle up and a few days later nailing a ring muscle up as well.
What is the most defining characteristic of Starboard CrossFit that sticks out to you?
- The community, since day 1 my wife and children have been welcomed by everyone. We bleed and sweat together and laugh about it afterwards. Everyone is always motivating each other to give it their all.
Any advice for newbies considering or just beginning their journey into the world of CrossFit?
- Just do it! Show up and put in the work, recover and repeat.
And finally, what are you up to when you're not at Starboard CrossFit?
- Being a husband and father, supporting my wife crush her goals and a lot of schoolwork.
We're so grateful for Justin, Summer-Rain and their family for giving us a shot and sticking with us. They've been some of our biggest supporters! We cannot thank you enough for all you've done and continue to do as our Starboard CrossFit Star Athletes!