HAVE YOU MET... KYLE & ALI?
We are always paying close attention to each and every individual member here at Starboard CrossFit. We're not just looking to help them get fit, improve themselves and achieve their goals... each month, we like choose an exceptional athlete that goes above and beyond the call of duty; an athlete that stands out as a shining example of an exemplary Starboard CrossFit athlete and family member. Definitely not an easy task with all of the amazing athletes we have!
Then we ask them to share their story in the hopes that it will inspire and motivate others. Most importantly we want to recognize those dedicated members for their hard work and accomplishments, and show the local community that ANYONE can be a CrossFitter. All you have to do is make the choice to give it a try, set goals, and work hard. You may be surprised at what you will accomplish!
This month we're very excited to introduce you to a couple of our early morning class members. This young military couple decided to finally give CrossFit a try and we were the lucky box they chose for that first impression! If you've ever been to one of our 5am classes then you've definitely already met our amazing CrossFit Couple and our Star AthleteS of the Month for November, Kyle & Ali Richardi.
Like many of our Starboard CrossFit family members, these two are also active duty members of our U.S. military, specifically the U.S. Air Force! They both joined our family this past summer and have learned and advanced very quickly and they continue to improve so much with each passing month!
Kyle & Ali are among our most dedicated, hardest working couples we have as part of our Starboard family! They both walk into every 5am class with the brightest smiles on their faces and a "let's do this" attitude ready to work. They're infectious personalities are so very much a HUGE part of our early morning community. Having that type of attitude so early before the sun comes up is so important to us that it's almost a requirement if you want to be part of our 5am #breakfast club ! These two are
We are very thankful for the support they've shown us and we are definitely excited to see them excel now and in the future. He is an absolute beast and she is a ridiculously strong & fast learner and we’re honored to have them both in our CrossFit family!
PLEASE MEET OUR STAR ATHLETE... Kyle & Ali Richardi!
What's your nickname/call sign/hashtag?
- Kyle's nickname is "Pretty Ricky". My nickname is actually Ali, short for Alexandria! But as a funny, people like to call me Angel face
Where were you born or where did you grow up?
- Kyle is from Redding, CA and I grew up in a small town in Missouri. The military brought us together.
Tell us something most people don't know about you...
- Looking at Kyle, people would never guess, but he is a hardcore gamer. I am a HUGE animal lover.
Funny or embarrassing story you'd like to share...
- I still laugh at the fact that when Kyle and I first met, I thought he was the most intimidating guy and I was way too scared to talk to him. Knowing what I know now, he's a big teddy bear!
Words to live by ~or~ favorite quote?
- 'You miss 100% of the shots you don't take' -Wayne Gretsky - Michael Scott" (We love The Office)
What were you doing before CrossFit?
- Before we tried CrossFit, we were just regular weightlifters in a regular gym.
When and how did you find CrossFit? What brought you to Starboard CrossFit in the first place?
- We've known about CrossFit for a while but were those people that swore we would never try it... until we got bored in the gym and wanted to try something new! Starboard was the closest boxes to our house.
What was your first impression? How has that changed?
- We are HUGE on first impressions, and the second we walked in, we fell in love with the atmosphere, the layout, and the coaches. Ronnie showed us around... we were sold and greeted by Coach Karon the very next morning!
How has CrossFit impacted your life inside & outside the gym?
- CrossFit has impacted our life outside the gym, by bringing us closer as a couple. We love conquering challenges together! Inside the gym, it's helped me (Ali) slowly open up as I'm the shy one out of the two of us.
What is your favorite workout, movement or lift? least favorite?
- There are a lot of movements we've loved learning but I think our favorites are deadlifts and thrusters! Least favorite movement/workouts definitely the overhead squats and SALLY!
What are your biggest CrossFit goals and how close are you to achieving them?
- Kyle wants to be able to do muscle ups and he is almost there, for sure! I wanna be able to do regular pull ups. . I'll get there one day!
Favorite food, restaurant, or cheat meal?
- Kyle absolutely loves Q'doba and while I share a mutual feeling, I couldn't live without potatoes!
What has been your proudest CrossFit accomplishment?
- Kyle's proudest moment was when he hit a new PR on deadlifts @ 455#! Mine was when I got my first rope climb!
What is the most defining characteristic of Starboard CrossFit that sticks out to you?
- What sticks out the most about Starboard is the family atmosphere. I love how close-knit everyone is and when you miss a day, everyone's asking about you!
What are you up to when you're not at Starboard CrossFit?
- When we aren't at Starboard, 9 times out of 10 you can find Kyle playing some kind of video game. When he's not, we like playing with our fur babies, watching movies, and making memories together!
And finally, any advice or tips for newbies considering or just beginning their CrossFit journey?
- piece of advice I would give to newbies or anyone considering joining, just go for it and make it habit. And when you do, focus on yourself and YOUR goals to make yourself better. Speaking from experience, focusing on what others can do will just make you bitter!
Some VERY wise advice! We're honored, very proud and extremely grateful and we cannot thank you both enough for taking that leap and becoming part of our Starboard CrossFit family. Keep up the hard work Kyle & Ali! And thank you so much for sharing your story with us as our Starboard CrossFit Star Athletes for the month of November!