HAVE YOU MET... KRISTEN?
We are always paying close attention to each and every individual member here at Starboard CrossFit. We're not just looking to help them get fit, improve themselves and achieve their goals... each month, we like choose an exceptional athlete that goes above and beyond the call of duty; an athlete that stands out as a shining example of an exemplary Starboard CrossFit athlete and family member. Definitely not an easy task with all of the amazing athletes we have!
Then we ask them to share their story in the hopes that it will inspire and motivate others. Most importantly we want to recognize those dedicated members for their hard work and accomplishments, and show the local community that ANYONE can be a CrossFitter. All you have to do is make the choice to give it a try, set goals, and work hard. You may be surprised at what you will accomplish!
This month we are excited to introduce you to a member of our early morning classes. This young lady joined our family just before the start of this past summer. If you've ever been to one of our afternoon classes then you've probably met her already; she's the one working hard to perfect her strengths as well as her weaknesses . We're proud to celebrate our Star Athlete of the Month for October, Kristen Perry Yoast.
Like I said, Kristen became member of our CrossFit family not too long ago back in May at the start of our hot summer. And like many of our athletes Kristen is very active not only inside the gym but outside as well. She is an avid horse rider and barrel race competitor.
She's also registered to compete in this month's Festivus Games with her friend, fellow member, and February Athlete of the Month, Cassidy Davis. We'll all be there to support her and our many other Starboard athletes.
Kristen is definitely one of most dedicated, hardest working athletes we have as part of our Starboard family! She comes into class early and ready to work and stays late always asking for coaching tips and advice to help her become the best crossfitter she can be. You'll see Kristen's work ethic inspires those around her to work just as hard at perfecting the basics. She's a prime example of what anybody can achieve with hard work and determination! Even with previous serious injuries in her life she doesn't let anything limit her abilities. We are very thankful for the support she’s shown us and we are definitely excited to see where the future lies for Kristin. He is an absolute powerhouse and we’re honored to have him in our CrossFit family!
Stop into any one of our group classes and be sure to say hi to Kristen and many of our other amazing members. And feel free to join us for a quick workout; see what all the hypes about! In the meantime, check out what Mike had to say about his experience with us at Starboard CrossFit...
PLEASE MEET OUR STAR ATHLETE... Kristen Perry Yoast!
What's your nickname/call sign/hashtag?
- Everyone calls me KP
Where were you born or where did you grow up?
- Toledo, Ohio
Tell us something most people don't know about you...
- Me and my horse Charlie, qualified for this years NBHA nation wide barrel racing competition in Perry GA.
Funny or embarrassing story you'd like to share...
- OMG there’s so many! The most recent was this morning, completely thought I could try and do one more toes to bar and landed flat on my back in front of everyone. Needless to say I could not do one more toes to bar.
Words to live by ~or~ favorite quote?
- "Pain is only temporary, what You feel now You won’t feel tomorrow"
What were you doing before CrossFit?
- Ridding my horse and playing with my 5 dogs.
When and how did you find CrossFit? What brought you to Starboard CrossFit in the first place?
- May 2018 I was in Washington Sate helping my best friend and she did CrossFit and I tried it with her and was hooked. When I came back to SC, I met current member Lacey Davis on OfferUp to buy her old CrossFit shoes and was trying to figure out which box to try and she convinced me to go with her the next day.
What was your first impression? How has that changed?
- I was so intimated and nervous. I knew only just the basics and was struggling with those alone. I thought for sure someone would laugh at me but all I got was encouragement and one on one coaching right away. My confidence grew and i actually wanted to come back!
How has CrossFit impacted your life inside & outside the gym?
- O goodness, I’ll try and keep this short! I’m a very competitive person at heart and after first starting, I knew I could be better, faster, and stronger than I was. I didn’t like the fact that I couldn’t do the moves or do the weights like some of the others could do but I knew if I pushed myself I could. So in the last 5 months I’ve lost 30 pounds, come in early to practice moves I struggle with, go home and practice some more. It has honestly paid off! I’m competing for the first time ever in the Festivus Games at the Intermediate Level! No more Novice here!.
What is your favorite workout, movement or lift? least favorite?
- Any workout that requires you to learn a skill and/or coordination. It sucks at first trying to figure out the move but once you figure it out and complete it, it’s so gratifying knowing you can do it. This makes you appreciate yourself and others more I think. Power cleans all day. Or rowing. I hate hate hate ANYTHING to do with squats. But Only because it’s my weakest move.
What are your biggest CrossFit goals and how close are you to achieving them?
- Honestly, my ultimate goal is to show up everyday and just try and get to that RX weight and then hit the RX+ weight. I would like to start competing more also... CrossFit Games 2020?!
Favorite food, restaurant, or cheat meal?
- Krispy Kreme doughnuts, my husbands cooking, anything with bread sugar and lots of carbs.
What has been your proudest CrossFit accomplishment?
- Being able to do a squat without having to use a box as a reference point. I wanted to cry, I was so proud of myself!
What is the most defining characteristic of Starboard CrossFit that sticks out to you?
- The fact that Coaches Jen, Ronnie, and Scott always take the time to work with you. You never feel like you have to figure out something on your own. They honestly want what is best for you as an athlete and they truly have a passion for coaching. You don’t really see that anymore.
What are you up to when you're not at Starboard CrossFit?
- Taking care of my horse my husband and my dogs and recovering from the days workout (aka: WOD).
And finally, any advice or tips for newbies considering or just beginning their CrossFit journey?
- The hardest part is showing up. You did that, you're already a step closer to whatever goals you have in mind. It’s going to be hard and it’s going to suck some days but your trying, keep doing it. You're that much closer to doing things you didn’t think you could ever do. That’s all that matters. Keep at it, don’t let the voices tell you otherwise. do your best and forget the rest!
We're honored, very proud AND so extremely grateful to have you as part of our Starboard CrossFit family. Keep up the hard work Kristen! And thank you so much for sharing your story with us as our Starboard CrossFit Star Athletes for the month of October!