HAVE YOU MET... COURTNEY?
We are always paying close attention to each and every individual member here at Starboard CrossFit. We're not just looking to help them get fit, improve themselves and achieve their goals... each month, we like choose an exceptional athlete that goes above and beyond the call of duty; an athlete that stands out as a shining example of an exemplary Starboard CrossFit athlete and family member. Definitely not an easy task with all of the amazing athletes we have!
Then we ask them to share their story in the hopes that it will inspire and motivate others. Most importantly we want to recognize those dedicated members for their hard work and accomplishments, and show the local community that ANYONE can be a CrossFitter. All you have to do is make the choice to give it a try, set goals, and work hard. You may be surprised at what you will accomplish!
This month we are thrilled to congratulate a regular member of our midday classes. We met this young lady when she began her CrossFit journey at a previous box and she's since continued down that path not long after we opened our doors here at Starboard. If you've attended one of our 8am classes I'm quite sure you've met her. We're proud to introduce you to our Star Athlete of the Month for July, Courtney Ayers.
Courtney and her significant other, Doug, have been regular faces in our midday (8am & noon) classes since September of last year. After they were left looking for a new CrossFit home, Courtney convinced us to open up a few midday classes for her and a few of her friends. If you’re new to the gym and she’s in your class, chances are she will be the first to welcome you.
She's quick to excel at new movements and approaches each new day in the gym with enthusiasm and courage. She definitely doesn't let fear dictate her lifestyle! Always the endurance/cardio athlete, she has been really working on building strength and rounding out her athletic tool bag. She has made so much athletic progress since starting with us over a year ago. You just can’t beat the hard work and consistency she has been putting in. She always gives us 110% day in and day out and is consistent week after week.
Courtney inspires people to do their best and he inspires us with his positivity and unwavering work ethic. We are very thankful for the support she’s shown us and we are definitely excited to see where the future lies for Courtney. This athlete has heart! She is an absolute beast and we’re honored to have her as a staple in our CrossFit family!
As you can see, Courtney, like many of our other members, is another vital keystone to our CrossFit community in more ways than just lifting weights; she helps lift up our entire community and raises the standard on what it means to be an important part of the Starboard CrossFit family.
Stop into any one of our midday classes sometime and be sure to say hi to Courtney and many of our other amazing members. And feel free to join us for a quick workout; see what all the hypes about! In the meantime, check out what Courtney had to say about her experience at Starboard CrossFit...
PLEASE MEET OUR STAR ATHLETE... Courtney Ayers!
What's your nickname/call sign/hashtag?
- Court, but I hear Mom! most :)
Where were you born or where did you grow up?
- Born in Washington and grew up in Northern Michigan.
Tell us something most people don't know about you...
- Well, I am an Artist.
Funny or embarrassing story you'd like to share...
- Funny and embarrassing - I lose all sense of direction coming into hallways, if my life depended on it, I would only survive a maze by pure chance.
Words to live by ~or~ favorite quote?
- If you are blue, change your color.
What were you doing before CrossFit?
- long distance running and boot camp.
When and how did you find CrossFit? What brought you to Starboard CrossFit in the first place?
- Found the nerve in 2015. The box I started with closed and I was most fortunate to find Starboard, just when I needed it most! Thrilled to find an 8 a.m. class offered three times a week.
What was your first impression? How has that changed?
- The previous box I came from was GIANT, so at first I wondered how a large group would work at Starboard - it works and so well! It is one of my favorite places to be :)
How has CrossFit impacted your life inside & outside the gym?
- CrossFit is a commitment and a challenge every single day, I thrive on both of those things in all aspects of my life. Keeping up with the discipline required makes for good choices in my life outside of the gym.
What is your favorite workout, movement or lift? least favorite?
- LOVE cardio days, deadlifts, front/back squats, and BOX JUMPS are my favorite. But... overhead squats slay me.
What are your biggest CrossFit goals and how close are you to achieving them?
- My goal started with just not being scared and to try, and try again until I wasn't scared. I don't want to throw up from fear when I walk in anymore :) And now, I RX workouts and am stoked at the progress I have made. It's all just so fun! My goal is to master an OHS like a Boss.
Favorite food, restaurant, or cheat meal?
- Cheese... I love cheese - I have to monitor this intake big time :) I could eat a block in one sitting.
What has been your proudest CrossFit accomplishment?
- I am a solid box jumper and have a pretty sweet deadlift, so that's fun, too.
What is the most defining characteristic of Starboard CrossFit that sticks out to you?
- Starboard brings out the best in all of us! It's just a great place to be. Everyone is happy and I love being around motivated, disciplined, strong willed, ambitious, and awesome people.
What are you up to when you're not at Starboard CrossFit?
- Being the best mom I can be. I love to work in my flower garden, run, paint, and sit with the love of my life.
And finally, any advice or tips for newbies considering or just beginning their CrossFit journey?
- Embrace the process of CrossFit, enjoy the challenge(s), and stretch for crying out loud!
We're honored and so extremely grateful to have you as part of our Starboard family. Keep up the hard work Courtney! And thank you for sharing your story with us as our Starboard CrossFit Star Athletes for the month of July!