HAVE YOU MET... MATT?
We are always paying close attention to each and every individual member here at Starboard CrossFit. We're not just looking to help them get fit, improve themselves and achieve their goals... each month, we like choose an exceptional athlete that goes above and beyond the call of duty; an athlete that stands out as a shining example of an exemplary Starboard CrossFit athlete and family member. Definitely not an easy task with all of the amazing athletes we have!
Then we ask them to share their story in the hopes that it will inspire and motivate others. Most importantly we want to recognize those dedicated members for their hard work and accomplishments, and show the local community that ANYONE can be a CrossFitter. All you have to do is make the choice to give it a try, set goals, and work hard. You may be surprised at what you will accomplish!
This month rounds out our first year and first 12 Star Athletes of the Month! We want to congratulate that first crew for all their dedication effort and exceptional work ethic!
We also want to congratulate another one of our up and coming new athletes, A Marine Corp veteran that recently began their CrossFit journey with us. It wasn't long after joining us that the CrossFit competition bug bit him. He was previously introduced to the CrossFit way of life by his wife, Allison, and makes up half of one of our strongest, most motivated couples in the box. We're proud to introduce you to our Star Athlete of the Month for May, Matt Grandi.
Matt and his wife, Allison, are a regular part of our afternoon/evening classes. They work hard together and help to motivate and push each other as well as all the other athletes in the box. Quiet yet confident, Matt has that indomitable will to push himself to succeed and to see others succeed as well; a core value we hold fast to at Starboard CrossFit!
Matt got his first taste of competition not too long ago as an individual competitor at this years Festivus Games and is ready to take on some more challenges. When he and his wife are not in the box they're out looking for their next adventure in Charleston and hunting for that elusive 'Best Pizza in Town'.
PLEASE MEET OUR STAR ATHLETE... Matt Grandi!
- Most people just call me "Grandi".
Where were you born or where did you grow up?
- I was born in Malden, MA, and grew up in Nashua, NH (about 45 minutes north of Boston).
Tell us something most people don't know about you.
- I'm a certified SCUBA diver. I don't get out and dive as much as I'd like, but hopefully that will change soon.
Funny or embarrassing story you'd like to share?
- For some reason, I seem to be incredibly skilled at stepping in dog poop. My crowning achievement in this area is that I once stepped in some INSIDE of Logan Airport. I had to scrape it out of my (brand new) shoes with a lockpick in the bathroom, and almost missed my flight because of it.
Words to live by ~or~ favorite quote?
- "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." - Wayne Gretzky - Michael Scott
When and how did you find CrossFit?
- My wife Allison introduced me to CrossFit a couple years ago. She had done it for a while and I saw what great things it did for her, so I gave it a try. I fell out of it for a couple years after moving, but I'm back now!
What were you doing before CrossFit?
- I was in the Marine Corps at the time, so generally I was just doing whatever I was told. Basic running, circuit courses, etc.
How has CrossFit affected your life outside the gym?
- CrossFit has gotten me down a clothing size in the last month, and has improved just about every area of my fitness.
What is your biggest Crossfit goal and how close are you to achieving them?
- I'd like to get my cardio closer to where it needs to be. I'm not sure how I'd quantify that, but I guess I'd say my goal is to be able to run a mile without wanting to die halfway through.
What's your favorite exercise, movement, lift, WOD, etc.? or least favorite?
- Favorite - I like to lift heavy, so back squat and deadlifts are my favorites for now.
- Least Favorite: Overhead Squat for sure. Need to work on that mobility!
Favorite food, restaurant, or cheat meal?
- Definitely pizza. I have yet to find my go-to pizza spot in the area, so if anyone has any suggestions, let me know!
What has been your proudest CrossFit accomplishment so far?
- I competed for the first time a few weeks ago at the Festivus Games. It was a great experience, and I can't wait to do it again!
What is the most defining characteristic of Starboard CrossFit that sticks out to you?
- I really enjoy that everyone in the Box has a real interest in seeing each other improve. It's a great feeling to have everyone cheering you on when you're going for that PR.
What are you up to when you're not at Starboard CrossFit?
- I work as a Cybersecurity Engineer, so I'm either doing that, going to school for my Masters degree, or going on an adventure with my wife and our dog, Starbuck!
And Finally, any advice for newbies considering or just beginning their journey into the world of CrossFit?
- It's going to be hard, and it's going to hurt, but if you stick with it and get your nutrition where it needs to be, you'll be sure to reach and even exceed your goals!
We're so extremely grateful to have you and Allison as part of our fitness family. Keep up the hard work Matt and we cannot wait to see you compete again and improve along the way! And thank you for sharing your story with us as our Starboard CrossFit Star Athletes for the month of May!