HAVE YOU MET... AARON & ERIN?
We are always paying close attention to each and every individual member here at Starboard CrossFit. We're not just looking to help them improve and achieve the safest and best possible form that they can... each month we like choose an exceptional athlete that goes above and beyond and stands outs as an shining example of a proud Starboard CrossFit member. Definitely not an easy task with all of the amazing athletes we have!
Then we ask them to share their story in the hopes that it will inspire and motivate others. Most importantly we want to recognize those dedicated members for their hard work and accomplishments, and show the local community that ANYONE can be a CrossFitter. All you have to do is make the choice to give it a try, set goals, work hard and push yourself. You may be surprised at what you will accomplish!
This month, we are very excited to honor one of Starboard's Founding Couples as our Star Athlete of the Month for July, Aaron & Erin Brackett!
Aaron (the guy) & Erin (the girl) are a couple of our original founding members that followed us to Starboard CrossFit and we are beyond thankful for their trust and faith in our dream and for joining us on our CrossFit journey!
They both push each other with determination to show up everyday and drive to finish every single WOD, even when it seems impossible. Both of these athletes brings such contagious energy and positive vibes into every class and event. Their hard work and intensity has helped them to progress quickly and in doing so has pushed other members around them to follow.
Like our previous Athlete of the Month, Aaron is friendly, quiet and reserved but shows a lot of drive and passion when working out. TSgt Aaron Brackett makes the ultimate sacrifice every day as he is one of our many active duty military members! Aaron is enlisted in the U.S. Air Force Fire Protection Services.
Erin is a familiar face at all of our community events and was even brave enough to compete at our grand opening competition! She's always quick to lend a hand wherever and whenever it's needed. She assisted our coaching staff with conducting boot-camp classes, does babysitting duties and has even been there to pick up our kids after school! Erin is always so welcoming and supportive of every new face that walks in the doors and is just such a pleasure to just talk with.
They're definitely an inspiration to us all and will always be welcome at Starboard CrossFit and, being from Ohio, they'll always hold a special place in our hearts! It's been so much fun watching them both grow as a CrossFit Athletes and we wish them the best on their next adventure in life as duty calls them to Alaska. We are so very honored to have the Brackett family as part of our Starboard Family.
PLEASE MEET OUR STAR ATHLETE COUPLE... AARON & ERIN!
Name (any nicknames):
- Aaron (the guy) & Erin (aka Girl Erin)
Where were you born or where did you grow up?
- We were both born in Ohio! (*fist bumps*) Aaron grew up in Michigan (we'll forgive him...) and I grew up in Toledo,Ohio (aka the Canada of Ohio.) We were high school sweethearts and now have 2 beautiful children, Joslynn and Blake, and have been married almost 17 years!
Tell us something most people don't know about you?
- Most people think Aaron is quiet, however he is not! He has a crazy side too! We were on a talk show when we were 19! (was it Jerry Springer??? LOL!)
Funny or embarrassing story you'd like to share?
- Seriously there are so many! I just like to have fun all the time! (maybe you should elaborate more on this talk show appearance...)
Words to live by ~or~ favorite quote?
- Aaron : I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13
- (Girl) Erin : you never know the past someone has walked through to make them the way they are, so be kind to everyone and make them feel loved!
When and how did you find CrossFit?
- Aaron was introduced to Crossfit in Texas by coworkers. I needed something new and fun so Aaron thought it would be something good for us to do together. I wanted no part in Crossfit at first but fell in love with it very quickly!
What were you doing before CrossFit?
- Aaron : traditional workouts occasionally.
- Girl Erin : going to a regular gym pretending I knew how to use the equipment.
How has CrossFit affected your life outside the gym?
- Girl Erin: it's given me friends in Charleston when we first got here while Aaron was deployed.
What is your biggest Crossfit goal?
- Aaron : to get a muscle up (aka the CrossFit Unicorn)
- Girl Erin : to be more proficient in all the movements! I'd like to be able to properly do the moves without looking ridiculous! (don't we all...)
What's your favorite exercise, movement, lift, WOD, etc.?
- Aaron : thrusters (he must enjoy torture!)
- Girl Erin : box jumps and deadlifts
And what's your least favorite?
- Aaron : overhead squats
- Girl Erin : running! (PREACH IT SISTA!)
Favorite food, restaurant, or cheat meal?
- Aaron : ice cream
- Girl Erin : Chick-fil-A
What has been your proudest CrossFit accomplishment?
- Girl Erin: Finishing Murph and getting a hand stand push up!
What is the most defining characteristic of Starboard Crossfit that sticks out to you?
- The coaching is top notch and at Starboard it's one big family! When I come in the door I always feel welcome!
Any advice for newbies considering or just beginning their journey into the world of CrossFit?
- Learn the basics first! Ronnie and Jen are really smart coaches! Listen to them and you'll do great and learn a lot! (AWWWW... shucks! thanks love!)
And finally, what are you up to when you're not at Starboard CrossFit?
- Aaron is usually working and I'm usually at the pool, the beach, or just chilling at home.
Any final thoughts?
- I am extremely sad to be leaving Starboard! When Ronnie first told me he was opening a gym I knew it would be awesome! And it is! I'm probably their biggest complainer and biggest cheerleader all at the same time! Everyone at Starboard is like family to me and I seriously love each and every one of you! I will miss you all so much and can't wait to come back and see all your accomplishments! Our doors are always open, so come visit us!
- We love and miss you guys already! Have fun and be safe in Alaska! Please don't leave... i mean... come back anytime!
And thank you for being our Star Athletes! (and PLEASE tell us more about this talk show appearance!)