HAVE YOU MET... SAMI?
We are always paying close attention to each and every individual member here at Starboard CrossFit. We're not just looking to help them get fit, improve themselves and achieve their goals... each month, we like choose an exceptional athlete that goes above and beyond; an athlete that stands out as a shining example of an exemplary Starboard CrossFit member. Definitely not an easy task with all of the amazing athletes we have!
Then we ask them to share their story in the hopes that it will inspire and motivate others. Most importantly we want to recognize those dedicated members for their hard work and accomplishments, and show the local community that ANYONE can be a CrossFitter. All you have to do is make the choice to give it a try, set goals, and work hard. You may be surprised at what you will accomplish!
This month, we are very excited to honor an athlete that took her very first steps into the world of CrossFit community with us as our Star Athlete of the Month for September, Samantha Hurley!
You'll recognize Sam as the girl lifting heavy with a big, bright smile on her face. Sami, is a die-hard regular to our dedicated 5am crew and usually drags her hubby, Vance, in on Saturdays as well.
Outside the box, Sam is a devoted military wife to her husband, Vance who is also a member of the Starboard CrossFit family and a student at the Navy's Nuke school in Goose Creek.
In the box, Sami is alway pushing her limits, perfecting her form, getting better and lifting heavier every day. She's a regular part of our elite early bird 5am crew. For most of us, when the little voice in your head say "it's too early, dark and cold... why don't you just go back to bed" Sami is already lacing up her Metcons and walking out the door. And, she is probably the ONLY athlete that enjoys a nice long and grueling ride on the assault bike (aka The Devil's Tricycle!)
Like so many of our other athletes Sami brings contagious energy and positive vibes into every class. Her hard work and intensity has helped her grow and continue to become stronger and healthier. Sami has set the perfect example and, as always, inspires other athletes to follow.
PLEASE MEET OUR STAR ATHLETE... SAMI!
Name (any nicknames):
- Sami or Sam
Where were you born or where did you grow up?
- I was born in Mesa, AZ but I grew up in Satellite Beach, FL.
Tell us something most people don't know about you?
- I used to work at Jimmy John's and would have to cut about 100 tomatoes a day for over a year and a half and now I can no longer eat raw tomatoes.
Funny or embarrassing story you'd like to share?
- When I first got to college I started applying for jobs (like 15 different ones) and when I got all my confirmation emails I realized I had spelled my name wrong on all my applications. My computer would ask me if I would like to autofill my application answers based off of my first application so my name was spelled "Smanantha Boley" on all of my applications. I did not get any of those jobs.
Words to live by ~or~ favorite quote?
- "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. -Wayne Gretzky" -Michael Scott
When and how did you find CrossFit?
- I found crossfit about 4 months ago when me and Vance were looking for a gym to workout at. He went to a class one day and told me how much he enjoyed it so I went to the next Saturday class and have been going ever since.
What were you doing before CrossFit?
- I would go to the gym and usually lift weights and I also enjoyed doing some spinning classes.
How has CrossFit affected your life outside the gym?
- Crossfit has all around made me a happier person. I feel like I have more energy, I am more confident, and I enjoy challenging myself more now.
What is your biggest Crossfit goal?
- To do a pull up!! And a rope climb.
What's your favorite exercise, movement, lift, WOD, etc.?
- Cleans, front squats, deadlifts, and the assault bike.
And what's your least favorite?
Favorite food, restaurant, or cheat meal?
- Tiki Taco for the best tacos ever.
What has been your proudest CrossFit accomplishment?
- Getting a handstand pushup and deadlifting 235lbs.
What is the most defining characteristic of Starboard CrossFit that sticks out to you?
- How welcoming everyone is. I was so nervous to start but everyone is very encouraging and went out of their way to talk to me. I always encourage my friends and coworkers to come because it's a great environment.
Any advice for newbies considering or just beginning their journey into the world of CrossFit?
- Just do it. It's tough and frustrating at first but it becomes an addiction once you start to see your progress and what your body can do.
And finally, what are you up to when you're not at Starboard CrossFit?
- Usually working. I also hang out with Vance, we BBQ with our friends most weekends, and I like to play with my dog Cooper.
- Probably the ONLY athlete we have that lists
We're so proud to be the first CrossFit box to introduce you to the world's largest fitness community and everyone of us loves Sam for her dedication and for always having a bright smile on your face. Thank you for being our Star Athletes!